Independent Investment Advisor Vacancy
Building on its record of success, the Essex Pension Fund (LGPS) wishes to appoint an Independent Investment Adviser to advise its Investment Steering Committee (ISC). It is intended that the appointment should be effective from November 2020.
The appointment will be for an initial period of 3 years (with an option for the Fund to extend the appointment for a further period on the same terms and conditions).
The Fund is growing towards a value of £7.5bn. Details of the strategic asset allocation and investment structure (including details of all current mandates) are set out in the Fund’s Investment Strategy Statement (ISS). The draft ISS is currently out for stakeholder consultation and can be found here.
For consideration, applicants will be required to:
have an investment background relevant to advise one of the biggest pension funds in the UK;
understand the unique nature of the LGPS, Pooling and its investment landscape;
have experience of working with others, including Trustees, Institutional Investment Consultants and Actuaries, in pursuit of agreed objectives; and
be able to attend up to six Investment Steering Committee engagements a year in Chelmsford, supplemented by a similar number of Officer/Adviser meetings in Chelmsford/London.
It is the intention to agree an annual fixed fee. The services to be provided include:
working with the Interim Director for Essex Pension Fund and Investment Manager, their colleagues and alongside Hymans Robertson, the Fund's Institutional Investment Consultant, to:
- assist in the determination and preparation of agendas and papers for the meetings of the ISC;
- identify investment issues of strategic importance to the Fund and arrange for their consideration by the ISC e.g. asset allocation, investment management structure, Pooling;
- keep under review the Fund's individual investment managers and Pooling arrangements and where necessary put forward proposals for their management, including where appropriate their dismissal;
- assist the ISC in keeping under review its Investment Strategy Statement;
- provide quarterly summary commentary in respect of the Fund’s Investment Managers performance; and
- assist in preparing bite size training material and investment thought pieces for the ISC as and when required.
when requested by the Fund Officers, attend and participate in monitoring, reviewing and briefing meetings arranged with investment managers, limited partners etc.
Expressions of Interest
Candidates wishing to express interest in this position should send:
a one or two-A4 page CV;
a summary (of no more than one A4 page) outlining their approach to investment for an LGPS fund; along with
details of two referees (who will be contacted for shortlisted candidates).
via email to Samantha Andrews, Investment Manager by 5pm on Friday 18 September 2020 at: email@example.com
Candidates will then be contacted in due course to arrange the next steps in the interview process.