Independent Investment Adviser vacancy
Building upon its record of success, the Essex Pension Fund (LGPS) wishes to appoint an independent investment adviser to advise its Investment Steering Committee (ISC). The post holder will succeed Keith Neale, who has held this position for a number of years. It is intended that the appointment should be effective from the end of July 2015.
The appointment will be for an initial period of 3 years (with an option for the Fund to extend the appointment for a further period on the same terms and conditions).
The Fund is growing towards a value of £5bn. Details of the strategic asset allocation and investment structure (including details of all current mandates) are set out in the Fund's Statement of Investment Principles.
For consideration, applicants will be required to:
- have an investment background relevant to advise one of the biggest pension funds in the UK;
- understand the unique nature of the LGPS and its investment landscape;
- have experience of working with others, including Trustees, Institutional Investment Consultants and Actuaries, in pursuit of agreed objectives; and
- be able to attend up to six Trustee engagements a year in Chelmsford, supplemented by a similar number of officer/adviser meetings in London.
It is the intention to agree an annual fee, with pro rata payments if the standard number of meetings is exceeded.
The services to be provided are:
working with the Director for Essex Pension Fund, his colleagues and alongside Hymans Robertson, the Fund's Institutional Investment Consultant, to:
- assist in the determination and preparation of agendas and papers for the meetings of the ISC;
- identify investment issues of strategic importance to the Fund and arrange for their consideration by the ISC e.g. asset allocation, investment management structure;
- keep under review the Fund's individual investment managers and where necessary put forward proposals for their management, including where appropriate their dismissal; and
- assist the ISC in keeping under review its Statement of Investment Principles and Funding Strategy Statement.
- when requested by the Fund officers, attend and participate in monitoring, reviewing and briefing meetings arranged with investment managers, limited partners etc.
Candidates wishing to express interest in this position should send:
- a one or two page CV;
- a summary (of no more than one page) outlining their approach to investment for an LGPS fund; along with
- details of two referees (who will be contacted for shortlisted candidates).
via email to Kevin McDonald, Director for Essex Pension Fund by close of business on 13 April 2015 at:firstname.lastname@example.org